Karl OTTO GmbH –
History of the family-run company
1919 Karl Otto starts off with “Grosshandelsbetrieb mit Waren aller Art” with premises in the Kontorhaus Mühlenburg, III. floor. Core business is the sale of aluminum utensils to hotels, restaurants, canteens and commercial kitchens.
1959 After the founder’s death, his wife Gertrud undertakes the business followed by a move of premises to Alter Wandrahm 33. Hamburg 33, and later on Zeughausmarkt 11.
1970 The second generation overtakes the business: Werner Otto – supported by his wife Ruth – is in charge now. Now the core business consists of household items of all sorts intended for the retail in Hamburg, Gastronomy and the equipping of industrial kitchens. Furthermore the commercial agency of aluminum and enamel tableware, as well as cutlery and scissors is taken on, Another pillar is the supply of ship´s equipment for Hamburg´s ship suppliers.
1980 Christian Otto joins the company in the third generation of the family and expands the range of marine equipment on offer. The Company moves to Gerstäckerstr. 9, Hamburg.
1987 Conversion of the sole proprietorship into a limited partnership, managing partner is Christian Otto, his father Werner Otto remains limited partner. The direct supply to the retail stops.
1993 Stefan Jiritschka (geb. Meyer) joins the company.
1994 On 19. th April the - until than active - senior partner Werner Otto dies, his wife Rut takes over his limited partner´s shares.
2001 Rut Otto retires well deservedly.
2010 Move from Gerstäckerstrasse, Hamburg to Stenzelring 17 , Wilhelmsburg.
2015 Conversion into Karl Otto Handels-GmbH and a move to larger premises in Sittensen